The new international standard for Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems (OHSMS)
Management Systems (OHSMS) ISO 45001: 2018 is the latest ISO standard, which before its migration to ISO was known as BS OHSAS 18001. It enables any organization to manage health risks and safety at work and improve their performance in this area.
The main focus of the standard is the continuous identification of hazards, risk assessment and management, in order to reduce the possibility of accidents related to health and safety at work.
ISO 45001: 2018 is applicable to any organization, regardless of its size or subject of activity, which wishes to demonstrate commitment to health and safety, to manage and minimize the risks to the occupational health of its employees and those to whom its activities are directed.
ISO 45001 is compatible with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 and allows easy integration. Legal and regulatory requirements and continuous improvement are two important aspects of the ISO 45001: 2018 certification demonstrates the company’s commitment to a safe working environment and protection of employees and other stakeholders from accidents and incidents.
The elements of ISO 45001: 2018 include::
– policy and commitment;
– hazard identification,
– risk assessment and control, conformity assessment;
– legal requirements;
– goals and programs;
– organization and staff;
– training, communication and consultations;
– documents and records;
– operational control;
– emergency preparedness, monitoring and measurement;
– investigation of incidents and accidents;
– corrective and preventive actions;
– audit and review by management.
Advantages of ISO 45001: 2018 certification
- Supports and improves the management and control of health and safety at work.
- Supports compliance with legal obligations for occupational safety.
- Improves the culture of safe work in the organization.
- Reduces accident costs and improves work efficiency.
- Improves the reputation of the organization.